We are hiring! Learn more


Frequently Asked Questions

What insurance plans do you take?

We are in-network with Kaiser, BCBS/Regence, PacificSource, and MODA. 

Licensed and Associate Therapists can bill all these insurance plans. Graduate Student Interns and Doctoral Practicum Students can only bill MODA.

    What is your self-pay rate? (per session)
    • Licensed Therapists: $150 for individual counseling; $170 for couples, families, and kids.
    • Associate Therapists: $130 for individual counseling; $150 for couples, families, and kids.
    • Licensed Psychologists: $210 for individual counseling; $230 for couples, families, and kids.
    • Doctoral Practicum Students: $130 for individual counseling; $150 for couples, families and kids
    • Graduate Student Interns: $85 for all services

    Will my insurance cover the cost of sessions?

    For in-network insurance plans, the amount you may be responsible for varies based on your specific plan coverage. Usually, insurance plans will cover some of the cost of sessions, and the client pays for part, either with a copay or deductible/coinsurance amount. You can find out how much you may be responsible for by checking your plan’s outpatient mental health office visit coverage. Our billing office will also verify this information prior to your initial appointment for those with in-network insurance plans.

    Do you bill Out-of-Network insurance plans?

    No. If your plan provides out-of-network reimbursement, we can provide you with a superbill. For most out-of-network insurance companies, you can file a claim quickly through your online member portal by uploading a copy of the superbill we provide. Reimbursement is dependent on your plan’s out-of-network coverage and benefits.

    What is your current wait time for the waitlist?

    Our waitlists average about 1-3 months. Wait times are longer for those who request in-person appointments or those with limited availability (particularly those who only have evening/weekend availablity).

    I got an email from the Scheduling Team with a list of time slots, how do I pick one?

    To pick a time slot, please reply to the email the Scheduler sent you. In your response, please state which appointment you would like.

    Can you provide counseling services outside of Oregon?

    We are currently not taking new clients outside of Oregon. All therapy participants, whether in-person or via Zoom/Telehealth, must be physically located in the state of Oregon to receive services at our center. 

    What’s the difference between Licensed Therapists, Associates, Graduate Student Interns and Doctoral Practicum Students?
    • LPC or LMFT (master’s level licensed therapist): has a master’s degree, and has completed all hours of training required for state licensure.
    • PsyD or PhD: is a licensed psychologist who has a doctoral degree in psychology, and has completed all requirements for licensure in the state of Oregon.
    • Associate Therapist: has earned a master’s degree, and is in the process of completing training hours, under the supervision of a licensed therapist.
    • Graduate Student Intern: has earned a bachelor’s degree, is enrolled in a master’s degree program, and is in the process of completing training hours.
    • Doctoral Practicum Student: has earned a master’s degree, and is in the process of completing training hours to earn a doctoral degree, under the supervision of a licensed psychologist.
    What is your cancellation policy?

    If you need to cancel an appointment, please allow at least 24 hour notice. If you cancel with less than 24 hours notice or do not show up, you will be charged between $130 and $150 for a missed appointment, unless the missed appointment is due to illness or emergency.

    Do I need a referral or authorization?

    You don’t need a referral from a primary care provider to begin services at FTCC, regardless of whether your insurance plan is in or out of our network. In rare situations, Kaiser authorization is sometimes required for traveling IDs. We will notify you if your plan requires an authorization when we check your benefits prior to starting services with us.

    Do you accept OHP/Medicare?

    No. We are not contracted with OHP or Medicare.

      How long after filling out an Appointment Request Form before I hear back?

      The Scheduling Team will reach out to you within 10 business days after submitting your Appointment Request Form.

      Can I check your current availability before I fill out an Appointment Request Form?

       Our provider availability changes from hour to hour. Time slots can open and then fill within the day. Some stay open for a while. Because of this ever changing availability, any information we could give you ahead of time would be outdated by the time we get to your form. Our most accurate and current availability is what the Scheduling Team sends to you within 10 business days of receiving your form.

      How much information do I provide in the Appointment Request Form? Who will be reading it?

      Please provide a short description or summary of your major concerns/challenges that you would like to address in therapy. Keep in mind that once scheduled, you will be required to fill out our Intake forms that will then ask for more details. The information you provide in the Appointment Request Form helps our Scheduling Team determine which of our providers may be a good fit, as each therapist has their own specialities. 

      Our Scheduling Team reads every Appointment Request that comes in. All of our employees are trained in HIPAA policies and procedures, and are legally required to protect your privacy. Because our Admin staff are not clinically trained, we may have some forms reviewed by our Clinical Leadership Team consisting of our Executive Director and a handful of our Licensed Therapists. They then provide assistance in determining the best fit at our center for your needs.

      What if I have an urgent need, or need immediate mental health care?

      If you have an urgent need for mental health care and are not able to wait for the scheduling process, please reach out to: 

      • Multnomah County Crisis line: 503-988-4888
      • Washington County Crisis line: 503-291-9111
      • David Romprey Oregon Warmline (English or Spanish): 1-800-698-2392
      • The Trevor Project (LGBTQ) folks age 13-24
      • 988 National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline (call or text): 988

      You can also get immediate help by going to your nearest hospital emergency room.

      Can I get assessed for ADHD or ASD at Family Ties Counseling Center?

      No, we do not provide assessments or testing for ADHD or ASD.

      Can any of your providers prescribe medication or offer medication management services?

      We do not have any providers that prescribe medication, nor do we offer medication management as a service at our center.

      Does your center or providers offer reunification therapy?

      At this time, we do not offer reunification therapy with any of our providers. Here are some community resources in the Portland area for mediators who can see your family for reunification therapy: